Friends of Christ Church Lutheran is a non-sectarian 501(c)3 non-profit dedicated to promoting and raising funds for the preservation of this National Historic Landmark designed by Eliel and Eero Saarinen.
In 1948, Pastor William Buege commissioned renowned Finnish-American architect Eliel Saarinen to design Christ Church Lutheran in Minneapolis’s Longfellow neighborhood. Saarinen, designer of the Helsinki Railway Station, architect, and director of the Cranbrook Educational Community in Ann Arbor, produced a masterwork. The architectural press lauded Christ Church as embracing modern principles while eschewing historical styles. It was – and is – widely considered to be the building that heralded a new form of ecclesiastic architecture.
Four years after Eliel Saarinen’s death in 1950, the congregation approached his son, Eero, to design a complementary Education Wing. He collaborated with Glen Paulsen, AIA, in crafting an elegant and deferential addition. Completed in 1962, the same year as his exuberant Dulles Airport and TWA Flight Center, the Education Wing houses the Luther Lounge, sky-lit atrium, spacious education rooms, library, industrial-scale kitchen, and a gymnasium/theatre.